How Can Teachers Increase Classroom Interactivity By Interactive Whiteboards
An interactive whiteboard is a large display that connects to a computer and a projector. The projector projects the computer’s desktop onto the board’s surface, where users control the computer with a pen, finger, or other device. The board is typically mounted to a wall or floor stand. Student response systems and other such accessories enable interactivity among students.
These are some important reasons why Interactive Whiteboards increase the interactivity between teachers and students in the classroom:
1. Technophobic teachers can use these whiteboards with ease for presentations from the front of the classroom;
2. When used for interactive testing of understanding for the entire class, interactive whiteboards can rapidly provide learner feedback;
3. Teachers can practically demonstrate how to search Wikipedia or Google or how to attach a photo to an email;
4. Teachers can have students set a virtual dial clock on the touch screen with their finger to the time the teacher announces. This will teach students to tell time;
5. Teachers can have students check off their names on the interactive whiteboard as part of the roll call in the morning;
6. An interactive whiteboard can be used for voting on different activities in the classroom.
Interactive whiteboards allow children to interact with the learning material. They become a part of the lesson and can even teach each other. Educational games can be played by entire classrooms. They also provide immediate feedback, so students and teachers can easily assess student progress.